If you’re a vegetarian, this is definitely not a recipe for you. If on the other hand you like your meat red and juicy, then read on. Today I’ll show you how to make a perfect peppered steak that goes great with chips, vegetables or a side of your choice. You’ll need to prepare the meat around 30 minutes before you want it, and the cooking time will take around 5 minutes.
The following is per steak:
- Sirloin steak, (without fat skirt if possible) cut about 15mm thick
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Remove your steak from the fridge 3-4 hours before you’re ready for it. If it comes pre-packaged, don’t remove it from it’s packaging. If it’s loose, cover it so it won’t dry. The aim is to allow the meat to warm to room temperature. This will mean it will be hot throughout when we cook it.
- About 30 minutes before serving, unpack it.
- Pour a tablespoon of olive oil over the steak and use the back of the spoon to rub it into the meat.
- Now add a generous quantity of finely ground fresh black pepper over the steak.
- Flip the meat and repeat the process for the other side.
- 10 minutes before serving, begin pre heating a grill pan as hot as you can get it.
- To cook the steak, you want to give each side 45 seconds, and then repeat each side for a further 45 seconds
- After cooking, place the steak on a wooden board to stand. You want it to stand for about a minute so the juices run from it. Don’t put it on a plate unless you’ve pre-heated the plate. Otherwise the meat will go cold before you have a chance to eat it.
- Serve with your sides and enjoy.